Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gallery Visit

Standing Mother and Child

1. 'Standing Mother and Child' was created by Elizabeth Catlett in 1978 and is on view at the Orlando Museum of Art, as all the works following. This sculpture is made of bronze with bronze patina, and stands at 16 1/2 inches tall and is 3 1/2 inches wide. This sculpture made an impression on me because I love the media that was used, it gives it such a rich look. This piece is also timeless and lacks boundary of cultures. It reflects the tenderness and love of a mother, who could be any mother.

The West Wind
 2. This beautiful marble statue is dated back to 1874 and was created by Thomas Ridgeway Gould, an American artist. The dimensions of the statue are 48 x 22 x 17 inches. I also love the marble media used on this statue because of the richness. It makes her dress appear to be smooth as butter, as the artist paid great attention to the detail of every ripple in the dress, as if it is being blown by the wind. This classical sculpture suggests a sexual intent with such a gentle, whimsical feeling. 

Lily Pond
 3. Frank Weston Benson created this painting in 1923 using oil paints on canvas 44 by 36 inches. 'Lily Pond' gives such a feeling of piece and tranquility, and displays the simple beauty of a scene in nature. The reflection against the water was done so perfectly that it doesn't even seem to be an painting, rather a photograph.

Marilyn Monroe
4. This Marilyn Monroe was made by Andy Warhol in 1967 using screenprint on paper, 36 x 36 inches. I have always admired pictures of Ms. Monroe, I myself have a very large portrait of her. I love her image and what she represents to me. Marilyn was not your average size '0' model, which is what I love about her. I believe her size was closer to a '16'. In this portrait Andy captures her essence and uses the pink overall coloring to connect her femininity.

For My People: Playmates
5. This is another piece from the collection of Elizabeth Catlett,an American artist, created in 1992. It is a lithograph on paper that is about 26 by 23 inches. This is entitled 'For My People: Playmates', as part of her African American collection. However, to me this reminds me of the simple pleasures, and innocence of childhood. Two siblings, possibly, enjoying games to use up their time. I used to play games like this as a child with my brother and it is a time that is truely missed.

Summer Landscape
6. Carl Wuermer is a German/American artist that created this oil painting (36 x 36 inches) in 1930. This animated looking landscape, done in a palette of green and brown hues, reminds me of the relaxation of the countryside that I miss here in the tourtisty city. It tells a story of sweet serenity and a life revolved around simpler things in the middle of a beautiful countryside.

Serenade
7. This is also from the African American collection at the museum, by an American artist named Romare Bearden. It was made in 1941 using gouache and casein on Kraft paper, which is 30 1/2 by 47 inches. The picture illustrates two African American men who have what seems to be unhappy expressions upon their faces. However, the guitar the one man is holding suggests a time of rejoice and happiness,as does the title, but their faces suggest otherwise. I would really like to know what they are thinking or what is going on to make them feel that way.
The Four Seasons: Summer
8. Jennifer Bartlett, an American artist, created this with silkscreen on paper (33 1/2 by 34 1/2 inches). Dated to 1941, this work entitled 'The Four Seasons: Summer' has a lot of different figures and variation. I would really like to know why she used a deck of cards, a butterfly and then such a grave symbol of a skeleton, among other things. There are so many random things all thrown together with a title that doesn't really explain much. I think the relevance is in the the eye of the beholder for this one.

Inch by Inch
9.  This work done with acrylics on canvas, was created by Edward Ruscha in 1988. This seemingly supernatural figure of a woman leaves much to be pondered. Who is this figure? Did she appear to the artist or is this just an extension of his imagination? And why is that small box on the right hand side that doesn't seem to belong?

2 comments:

  1. I love the art pieces, especially the one by Andy Warhol. It seems that when Warhol does work on a person with using different colors for each portrait, it seems as though the colors represent different emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a huge fan of Marilyn Monroe. That was one of my favorite choices of yours. I love everything about her and Andy Warhol happens to be my favorite artist.

    ReplyDelete