Sunday, March 6, 2011

Installation art

Creating Installation Art



Reflection
A. Installation art is art that is three dimensional and works with a given space to invoke the audience.
B. Any material or object that the artist sees fit can be used in installation art.
C. Installation art has the advantage of using more than two dimensional mediums to present ideas. A space that can be entered and explored provides far more interest for the viewer. It also allows the artist to be more creative by using many different materials and having all angles available.
D. I found the Reconstructed Icicles by Andy Goldsworthy to be interesting because when I first looked at the picture on page 254, it appeared to be merely a tree with a spiral around it. But when I read the title it gave the installation meaning. The artist is physically breaking the law of nature and creating an icicle of such an odd shape that is supposed to have formed around the tree.

Planning
A. I really adore when artists use red as a stand alone color against neutrals and that is why the picture on page 257 caught my eye. Louise Bourgeois created this installation called Red Room using large red spools of thread and other random items.
B. The theme that I am exploring is 'self'. I am planning to put every single thing that I use when I get ready to go out together in a collage like style.
C. I will used cosmetic products, clothing, and hair appliances.
D. I putting this installation in the corner of my room. My room is my sanctuary where I spend most of my time and where I actually get ready.


I am entitling this piece Quantitative Beauty. This piece is to show the expense, time and plethora of products that many of today's women use on any given day. I am one of those women. I wanted to illustrated the literal layers of beauty. This is a reflection of something that is very personal to my own style, and something that makes me feel like myself. For this reason, I love this piece. I think that it should say to others to be proud of your style because that is what makes you YOU. You can see that the materials used are products that can be purchased. Many are cosmetic products, some are hair styling tools and appliances, and also an entire outfit from head to toe. There is a shirt, jeans, a bra, underwear and shoes. A necklace, nail polish, and makeup brushes are also visible. I mounted all of the items on top of a jewelry box (on the left) and a shoe box (on the right). The actual materials range from wood, cardboard, plastic, and liquid to textiles such as suede, nylon, cotton and spandex.  All of the items are thrown together in a collage like style. This demonstrates variety through all of the different objects. There is somewhat of a rhythm among the items and the way they are laid across the space. There are also many different colors used. This installation scales a square of 2'3" by 2'4" and is 19" tall.
I think that using a site to create work within gives the artist so many different options and allows you to be more creative than with a flat surface. However, that means that there are more angles that need to be perfected since it can be viewed from all sides. But the fact that there are so many different ways to view the piece creates so much more interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment